Madness can be defined in many ways. Anger. Ecstacy. Evil. Genius. Rage. Relative to you or me, it can go any which way you please.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Little Angel

Last Friday, I had to run a couple of errands. I had a few more stuff to take care of for my requirements for my entry to Citibank. So I mozied along to the nearest photocopier, this sari-sari store just outside my village, called Katchicos. While waiting for my photocopies, I had a quick smoke outside. Just as I sat down on an empty seat, this sweet-smiling girl happened to pass by. She didn't look like she had anything important to do, so she smiled and sat beside me. She was a small girl, dark, with straight hair about chin length. Her clothes were a little tattered, possibly hand-me-downs, and she didn't look like she was fresh from the shower either.

After a few puffs of my cig, she giggles and asks, "Pahingi po ng piso?" I did have some loose change, and wasn't too thrilled about lugging it around, especially since I didn't have any pockets. So I gamely gave her a coin. She smiled and thanked me. At this moment, a man passed by who happened to know her, and greeted her advanced happy birthday. Apparently, her birthday was on Sunday. So I decided to strike up a conversation. She didn't have school that day because it was their barangay fiesta, and she was killing time by the store as she waited for her brother. I don't remember what she said exactly, but what I gather is that her brother worked as a tricycle driver or a vendor of a food stand in the area.

There was a slight pause, then she asked, grinning, "Nandito ba po kayo sa Pasko?"OO naman, I replied. Bakit? Then she smiled sheepishly. Then I realized what she meant, and said, Ikaw ha, naghahanap ka ng pamasko noh? She grinned and nodded timidly. I had heard this act countless of times before, but I felt the compulsion to give her at least a little something, it was her birthday on Sunday, after all. It was about time for me to head to the barangay office anyway, so I decided to give her a 20. Ayan, bumili ka ng ice cream ha? Pambertday mo na to. Her eyes just lit up and thanked me shyly. Then I said, Aral ka ng mabuti ha? Para makakuha ka ng trabaho na maganda. Wag mo lang kalimutan i-enjoy yung pagka-grade 4 mo. As I walked up the flight of stairs to the barangay office above, I could see her smiling ear to ear with a crisp 20, trying to figure out what to do with her new found wealth. What a sweet girl.

I did not see her as I left that day, but I went back there again just a while ago to do some more photocopying. I had my i-Pod with me, and I had my big ass Sennheiser (I forgot how to spell it) headphone on. Just after doing my business, I had another smoke at the same spot 2 days earlier. I scanned the area quickly, hoping that maybe the little girl would show up again. Lo and behold, she came prancing around with two boys, one around 8 and another maybe 4. They looked more worse for wear than the girl did, and they both had their heads shaved. I couldn't help but remember those Little Shaolin movies, because these kids had bald spots at the top of their little heads.

As the girl came closer, she recognized me instantly, and came over to say hi, with her little buddies in tow. I said hello too, and asked them if they wanted some Mentos (I always smoke while chewing mints). They quickly replied the affirmative. So I pulled out 3 mints for them, and they looked like they were enjoying the free treat, except maybe the little boy, who i guess found it too strong for his taste, as he spit out a half-eaten mint when he thought I wasn't looking. I asked for their names. The girl's name was Nineng. The older boy was Abo, and the little one was Bugoy. I wouldn't have guessed they would have names like that. I found it particularly funny for a kid a little older than 3 named Bugoy.

Nineng was really interested about my gadgets, and she wanted to try it out. So I gingerly put my earphones on her, and played some tunes on my i-Shuffle. She was shocked at how loud it was, despite all road noise in the area. She marveled at what she might think to be space-age technology, and was gamely laughing. Bugoy, as any little boy would, started trying to poke at my Shuffle, and I warned him not to touch it. He just looked at me blankly and started poking at it again. Nineng then scolded little Bugoy, and so he decided poking around wasn't worth it. All this time, Abo was sitting under the table where I had my stuff on, trying to annoy the other two. I had the two boys listen to my sounds afterwards, and they were delighted.

It was about time for me to go, so I stood up and bade the kids goodbye. Nineng again asked sheepishly If I could spare her some change. I didn't want to think that being a charity case would always get her something from me, so I replied that I didn't bring any money, but I would give them another round of mentos if she wanted. Only Nineng had one more, the two kids were already looking elsewhere for amusement.

Aral ka ng mabuti Nineng, ok? I said. "Opo!" she quickly replied. As I backed my car out of the parkng slot, she was enthusiastically waving me goodbye. I waved back, and went on my way. That was cute.

Moments like that are treasures unto themselves. I believe we all have moments that draw us back to reality, or at least to more important issues other than our own lives. I really wish I could do something for Nineng. She seems like a very charming and smart girl. I told myself on the way home that I would seek her out one day and give her a little help, education wise or maybe even financially. It was heart warming to see a genuine and sincere appreciation of the things that you do, and for me, that was a million times better than the 21 pesos and 2 mentos that I gave her. I do hope I see her around again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home